Monday, October 5, 2009

Dinner Blog #1





Last Thursday I decided to host my first blog dinner for our friends Ashley & Cory.  On the menu was a recipe I had found in one of my magazines, Super Mac & Cheese. 

The magazine I chose the recipe from boasted on its cover, "Easy Italian Favorites".  I chose the mac & cheese and thought, "Ok, how much easier can that get?"  I had most of the ingredients already in my kitchen.  The only thing I lacked was the main ingredient, the
cheese.  I needed 3 different types.  2 fancies, gruyere and asiago, and 1 regular, cheddar, and they all needed to be shredded.  I went to the deli at my local grocery and asked for the fancies.  I didn't know if I could get them pre-shredded, I didn't ask (does anyone know if the deli will do that for you?), but I at least thought they would cut me a block.  No, they gave it to me sliced, which made me think "How am I going to shred sliced cheese?"  I took it anyway and headed off to purchase my cheddar.  Now I know I can buy cheddar pre-shredded, but being all gung-ho about my first blog dinner, I got block cheddar telling myself what a good little chef I am by not cutting any corners and doing all the hard parts myself.  Little did I know, after I figured out how to shred sliced cheese, a major hand cramp would ensue and my left appendage would temporarily resemble a claw. After the feeling came back into my hand, I was able to finish the recipe and have it on the table by time company arrived.  

Other foods that I prepared but were not up for review were, Chicken Italian Dip, Loaded Garlic Bread, and Pumpkin Cheesecake. (See all recipes above; click on photos for larger viewing)

All in all, dinner went off without a hitch.  Everyone had seconds and my husband had thirds, which made me feel quite proud of myself.  Success!

Super Mac & Cheese Reviews

Ashley:  LOVE the gruyere  flavor; it made it not-your-ordinary mac & cheese; big fan of the crust; very cheesy, very filling, very yummy!

Cory: Baked perfectly, wonderful selections of cheese, couldn't stop eating it.

Mine:  Wasn't what I expected.  With all the different cheeses I wanted a little more flavor.   It wasn't as easy to make as the headline promised, with the many ingredients and                 the slightly difficult instructions.  Was good, but I still prefer my mom's homemade.









1 comment:

  1. For future reference, you can buy the "fancy" cheeses by the block instead of in the deli...they're usually in a big refridgerated bin in the deli section (not the regular cheese section). It's be easier than trying to shred sliced cheese at least...

    ReplyDelete