Thursday, October 22, 2009

Homemade Pumpkin Latte

I'm not a big coffee drinker.  I rarely have anything to do with the caffeinated beverage unless it is super cold outside and I am in the vicinity of a gas station with a cappuccino machine.  Yes, I get my cappuccinos from a gas station.  I just think they taste much better than anything from Starbucks or any other fancy schmancy coffee shop.  And they are cheaper too.

Lately, my little precious, who never has any sense of what time it is, has been waking up and bouncing in her crib at a too early time in the morning.  Not being an AM person, I wondered if maybe I should dabble in coffee drinking to help give me a little pep. Unfortunately I don't like straight coffee, so I set out to find something with a more fun flavor.  I got excited when I found a recipe for a pumpkin latte.  I like pumpkin and I can handle a latte!  I actually looked forward to getting up too early this morning with my morning happy babe just so I could try out the recipe.  
It is as follows:

Pumpkin  Latte

  • 1-2 tbs. canned pumpkin
  • 1-2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup strong coffee
  • Sugar to taste


In a saucepan, heat milk and pumpkin until steaming. Add vanilla and cinnamon.

Put mixture in a blender  until thick and foamy. Pour into a mug and add coffee. Add sugar and enjoy!



Right on cue too early this morning, Ittle Bit started cooing in her crib.  I got up, greeted her with a cheery good morning (cause that's what moms do), fed her, changed her, set her down to play, and set off to the kitchen to make my first pot of coffee ever. The recipe does call for strong coffee, but I chose to make mine regular at my dear husband's prompting.  He reminded me that my system is not used to caffeine and that I would crash and burn after a day of having super energy if I went the strong route, so I took his advice and toned it down.  I followed the recipe to a tee and was pleasantly surprised when I took my first drink.  It was yummy!  I savored every single drop.  But, when I got to the bottom of my cup, a laugh escaped me as I discovered a glob of pumpkin stuck to it. Apparently I didn't stir it into the milk good enough.  But, no worries, the drink was still delicious and it was a nice treat for waking up at the crack of dawn.    

If you try this recipe, let me know how it came out for you!






1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of hot "special" beverages and might have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete